Download LC Community: trapped.

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Mar 9 23:57:46 EST 2017

James Hale wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>> Most SEO brings people to the .com site, so those on the .org
>> site are the subset who specifically went there the get the
>> open source edition of LiveCode.
>
> I still don't understand why this distinction was made.

That was an idea I pitched to the team, and as we thought it through it
seemed a good fit for what LiveCode Ltd. is doing.  Over time we may
find a unified site is better, but at the moment I like where things are
potentially headed.

Many open source projects have a .org domain for their community
efforts, including drupal.org, apache.org, r-project.org, python.org,
wordpress.org, getfedora.org, etc.

By splitting .org from .com, we have the opportunity to allow the
company to hone their messaging for developers of proprietary apps at
.com, while providing a portal at .org for not only the software itself,
but also resources for community projects, contribution assistance, EDU
tools and support, and more.

We're still early days with the .org site, and they haven't set set up
the facilities to allow a community web team to augment that domain with
relevant community info.

But we'll get there, hopefully soon.

--
  Richard Gaskin