Download LC Community: trapped.

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Thu Mar 9 16:32:05 EST 2017

On 3/9/2017 1:02 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
> If you decide you don't wish to donate right now you still have to
> specify a name and an e-mail
> address.
>
> So: NO anonymous download unless you happen to have previously
> bookmarked:
>
> downloads.livecode.com/livecode/
>
> Not good.

In this age of massive invasion of privacy by governments, corporations,
and unpleasant groups and individuals, I can respect not wanting to
provide a name and email address for all sorts of reasons.

However, on the flip side, LiveCode Open Source (which I backed) may
have been a mistake. I backed the Open Source kickstarter for 2 reasons:
(1) in hopes more people would develop for LiveCode; and (2) so the
source would be there in the worst case scenario that LiveCode, Ltd went
kaput. The cost to switch our products to another language would be the
end of our business.

With 75% of downloads being Community, only 25% of the user base is
paying for 100% of the development. The idea being that those that get
LiveCode for free would, in some part, contribute back to the Open
Source effort that, in turn, expands the commercial offerings. The
statistics show that is only minimally happening and not in any way to
support the cost of giving LiveCode to 75% of the user base free. I hope
this changes.

In this context, asking for a email address in an attempt to market to
the people free access to LiveCode is a small thing to ask for.  If the
open source side of the house doesn't add more capabilities to LiveCode
or self-support itself through voluntary contributions to a greater
degree over time, then the practical reality is that it will ultimately
fail.

I hope that it does not fail.