[ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Mar 7 14:31:53 EST 2017

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

 > One of the points that might be brought up at this point is that
 > LiveCode in presented as a complete programming language/packet
 > in itself; there is no indication given that users of LiveCode
 > are expected to know other, lower-level languages too.
 >
 > I suspect that a very high proportion of people who use LiveCode,
 > whether one of the 2 commercial offerings, or the free offering,
 > do so just because they have either (like myself) done their level
 > best to forget all the command-line languages of their youth, or
 > don't know any and don't wish to learn any.

With engine code, much of LC's community - including me - is in the same
place as those using other scripting engines:  as scripters, relatively
few among us have the C chops to contribute to that part of the project.

But with LiveCode we have options beyond the engine itself.  As you
noted, it's more than just a scripting engine, it's a complete IDE, and
with LiveCode everything in the IDE is written in LiveCode.

Those in a position to contribute fixes and enhancements can search the
bug DB for items involving the IDE.

And to make that even easier Peter Brett provides a shortlist in each
weekly community newsletter, grouped by difficulty - here's the most recent:

    Help needed!

    Want to get involved in the LiveCode open source project but
    don’t know where to start? Try one of these:

    - (Easy) Update & complete documentation for "the processor"
    - (Easy) selectionChanged does not appear in the player object page
      of the dictionary
    - (Easy) Fix format of "mobileControlDo" dictionary entries
    - (Medium) Add info on manipulating field contents to the User Guide
    - (Medium) Make guide outlines in the Dictionary expand/collapse
       with repeated clicks
    - (Medium) Reduce whitespace in Dictionary
    - (Hard) Allow Windows line endings in script-only stacks
    - (Hard) Create a LiveCode Community build for Raspberry Pi

<https://livecode.github.io/this-week-in-livecode/issue/2017/03/06/this-week-in-livecode-73.html>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  LiveCode Community Laison