Dragging widgets

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Wed Mar 1 11:35:09 EST 2017

I don’t always agree with Richmond (to put it mildly) but here I feel very close to his position. I think that the mother ship's attempts to make LC more up to date and at the same time more relevant to commercial software production are laudable, and even necessary to ensure the product stays in the game, so to speak. But (and there certainly is a ‘but’) there is a danger that the whole LC environment might move away from the very powerful “everyone can code” ideal. It may be simply that this list is preoccupying itself with more arcane stuff that’s outside the comfort zone of most LC developers, but instinctively I feel the danger is real.

Maybe there should be a “who benefits?” test applied to new stuff, especially stuff that breaks the existing model.

Just my two Brexit-affected Eurocents

Graham