Table Fields "and all"

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Thu Jun 29 11:45:29 EDT 2017

The data grid was created *precicely* because of this very thing. I for one was constantly begging for a table object of some sort, imagining that it would work like an Excel Spreadsheet, but as many pointed out, there would be problems when the data put into a table object was too much for Livecode to want to deal with.

I do not see creating a datagrid as a "knee-jerk" reaction any more than using a menu button is when trying to create a popup menu. If you need an object that can display a table of data, that can be addressed pretty simply, the DataGrid is what you want.

So here is a bit of code:

set the dgData of group "dgDataGrid" to aArrayData
put the dgDataOfLine [3] into aDataRecord
put aDataRecord ["food type"] && aDataRecord ["topping1"] into tLunchEntree

It's not that difficult. Now if you want to find the record containing "biscuit":

dispatch findIndex to group "dgDataGrid" with ""food type", "Biscuit"
put the result into tFoundIndex
put the dgDataOfIndex [tFoundIndex] into aDataRecord

Piece of cake! Here is the DataGrid API link: http://lessons.livecode.com/m/datagrid/l/7344-data-grid-api

Bob S