Shell - argv limits

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jun 28 20:43:04 EDT 2017

JB wrote:

 > When using argv it has a character limit. I think it
 > might be different on different systems but you can
 > probably use a few thousand characters for each
 > argument.  You can have as many arguments as
 > memory can handle.  Probably thousands.  You
 > should refer to a file for larger data.

Have you looked into passing data with pipes (stdin/stdout)?

If the process will be long-running and used for multiple events,
sockets may be another option.

Reading up on how some folks pass data between processes on Linux
servers it seems the shared memory RAM disk automatically mounted at
/run/shm can be useful.  In some brief tests here it was about 9 times
faster than my fastest SSD, and a lot simpler than sockets.  In LC SHM
works great with normal file I/O commands.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems