Server Installation

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 27 16:37:32 EDT 2017

Simon Smith wrote:

 > I got Livecode server up and running on the Windows 10 using both
 > XAMPP and WAMP without any trouble. Both WAMP and XAMPP only needed
 > a small change. I have documented everything here.
 > http://activethought.net/installing-livecode-windows/
 >- and work equally well for hosting a LiveCode server locally.

Quite nice - thanks for posting that.

 > I started setting up an online Ubuntu server  - but it's been a while
 > since I have done it and its many many little steps and a lot of work
 > to document. And I don't think its an ideal solution either -
 > developers need something reliable that they can get up and running
 > quickly and does not require in depth knowledge of Linux to get setup.

LOL - I said the same think after trying to set up a WAMP server a
client required. I think as with anything touching on platform advocacy,
the easiest thing is the one you know. :)

In my case I began learning Linux because an increasing number of
projects had client-server requirements, and nearly every shared host
and most VPSes I've seen offer Linux, with only a few offering Windows
Server at an additional cost.

I've even had clients who use Windows exclusively on the desktop
throughout their org (even the art dept. where Mac might be a better
fit), but when it came to their public-facing systems they use Linux
exclusively,  much as Apple, Amazon, and Google rely on it for their clouds.

With OS X being a certified UNIX and Linux being very UNIX-based, I
found I was able to leverage a lot of Mac automation skills when I
started moving those bash scripts to my Linux hosts.

In Win10 Anniversary Edition and later, Ubuntu is now available as a
subsystem there too, so one can build their bash skills universally now.

As for the steps involved, Mike Bonner's outline was very helpful:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2017-June/238297.html>

And if you use Docker it gets even easier, thanks to Charles Warwick's
LC container, allowing installation in one step, the Docker way:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2017-June/238318.html>

 > So after some research I can across ServerPilot.io - a cloud based
 > control panel for cloud servers (like Digital Ocean and Vultr). You
 > setup a clean server - link it to their control panel - and it takes
 > care of everything - in a minute or two you get a nicely setup server
 > - with control panel, mysql, apache and PHP.. Their free option gives
 > you the basics - everything that you need to get a server up and
 > running. There is the option of upgrading the control panel to get
 > extra features. Unfortunately the free account does not give you the
 > ability to setup SSL, You need to pay $10 a month for that - but you
 > can get around that using Cloud Flare.  All that you have to do is
 > setup LiveCode once everything is done - and you what is
 > a really nice little potent little server.
 >
 > If interested - I have gone through it in more detail here, I rushed
 > so hope I have not left anything out -
 > http://activethought.net/perfect-livecode-cloud-server/.

Very nice - thanks.

This reminds me of an interesting service Scott McDonald put together a
while back, The LiveCode Lab, with multiple versions of LC Server set up
and ready to use:
<http://thelivecodelab.com/>

The functional part is currently offline, but perhaps if some here were
in a position to lend a hand he might be motivated to bring it back online.

And of course if shared hosting will suffice, the good folks at HostM
continue to offer a good price for what is AFAIK the only third-party
commercial hosting service offering pre-configured LiveCode Server:
<https://www.hostm.com/livecode-hosting>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems