Server Installation

Simon Smith hello at simonsmith.co
Tue Jun 27 15:41:43 EDT 2017

It's taken me longer than I had hoped to do this.

I got Livecode server up and running on the Windows 10 using both XAMPP and
WAMP without any trouble. Both WAMP and XAMPP only needed a small change. I
have documented everything here. http://activethought.
net/installing-livecode-windows/  - and work equally well for hosting a
LiveCode server locally.

I started setting up an online Ubuntu server  - but it's been a while since
I have done it and its many many little steps and a lot of work to
document. And I don't think its an ideal solution either - developers need
something reliable that they can get up and running quickly and does not
require in depth knowledge of Linux to get setup.

So after some research I can across ServerPilot.io - a cloud based control
panel for cloud servers (like Digital Ocean and Vultr). You setup a clean
server - link it to their control panel - and it takes care of everything -
in a minute or two you get a nicely setup server - with control panel,
mysql, apache and PHP.. Their free option gives you the basics - everything
that you need to get a server up and running. There is the option of
upgrading the control panel to get extra features. Unfortunately the free
account does not give you the ability to setup SSL, You need to pay $10 a
month for that - but you can get around that using Cloud Flare.  All that
you have to do is setup LiveCode once everything is done - and you what is
a really nice little potent little server.

If interested - I have gone through it in more detail here, I rushed so
hope I have not left anything out -
http://activethought.net/perfect-livecode-cloud-server/.

While I have ended up not documenting how to setup an entire server from
scratch - for most I do think this is a much more convenient and better
solution.

Simon

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <