Server Installation

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Jun 18 15:53:25 EDT 2017

Simon Smith wrote:

 > I think it is worth saying that if you are wanting to host your own
 > server online - it is well worth the pain of learning how to setup
 > everything yourself.
 >
 > A control panel or a setup script would be great (my personal
 > preference would be a setup script) - you do still need some
 > experience to run a server online and trouble shoot any problems
 > that can occur. Neglecting even something very small can have
 > disastrous results - something I have learnt the hard way when I
 > had a VPS hacked a many years ago. Learn the basic Linux commands,
 > administer a firewall, use vim or nano to edit files, setup cron
 > jobs, restart services, monitor resources, manage user rights,
 > setup sftp or ftp, tweak mysql etc. You will be a better developer
 > for it.

Good points, well said.

As I'm beginning to learn security forensics, I'm curious:  what was the
entry point for that hack?  What did you learn from it, what do you do
differently having experienced that?

 > I am in the process of setting up a new Windows PC and still need to
 > install a local web server and I also need to setup a new Linux server
 > hopefully in the next day or two - I will document everything I do and
 > share that - hopefully its of help.

A very generous offer, much appreciated.

For those of you excited at the prospect of managing a server, I found
The Official Ubuntu Server Book by Kyle Rankin and Benjamin Mako Hill
very helpful.  The 3rd Edition is coming out in August, but the 2nd
Edition is quite relevant even now:
<https://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubuntu-Server-Book-3rd/dp/0133017532>

The free community documentation for Ubuntu is quite good too.  Here you
can find the guides for Ubuntu server and desktop, and the server guides
are available as HTML and PDF for both current LTS (Long-Term Support)
releases, 14.04 and 16.04:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/>

--
  Richard Gaskin