Server Installation

Simon Smith hello at simonsmith.co
Sat Jun 17 19:38:27 EDT 2017

I think it is worth saying that if you are wanting to host your own server
online - it is well worth the pain of learning how to setup everything
yourself.

A control panel or a setup script would be great (my personal preference
would be a setup script) - you do still need some experience to run a
server online and trouble shoot any problems that can occur. Neglecting
even something very small can have disastrous results - something I have
learnt the hard way when I had a VPS hacked a many years ago. Learn the
basic Linux commands, administer a firewall, use vim or nano to edit files,
setup cron jobs, restart services, monitor resources, manage user rights,
setup sftp or ftp, tweak mysql etc. You will be a better developer for it.

I am in the process of setting up a new Windows PC and still need to
install a local web server and I also need to setup a new Linux server
hopefully in the next day or two - I will document everything I do and
share that - hopefully its of help.

Simon

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 2:23 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <