Server Installation

Charles Warwick charles at techstrategies.com.au
Sun Jun 18 02:11:37 EDT 2017

On 18/06/2017 7:23 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> Malte wrote:
>
> > Ok, I want this. Who does it? I am throwing $500 in the pot…
> > Someone also willing to write a .bat for Windows and maybe make the
> > Linux one work on Mac OS also???
>
> I'd do an initial version for that which would handle Ubuntu 14.04 and
> Ubuntu 16.04, under MIT so everyone can extend it for Mac and Windows
> if they need.
>
> Do we want VPS, or should we consider versions for shared hosts? There
> are subtle differences between shared hosts that can make them more
> challenging, but the upside is they have pro admins hardening and
> monitoring so they're a better option for newcomers to get started.
>
> I could also write a script to harden a VPS, but doing it well
> requires using the script carefully, after setting up shared SSH keys,
> because I prefer to completely turn off password login on any system
> where I can
In case it may help... you can take a look at a Docker image I wrote
that builds Livecode server with Apache in a base Ubuntu environment.

Specifically the Dockerfile (which builds the Docker image) is
essentially just set of bash commands that builds everything that is
needed.  The Apache config file used for the Docker image is also there.

https://github.com/techstrategies/docker-livecode

For those who know what Docker is (or want to try use it), the Docker
image is available on hub.docker.com:

https://hub.docker.com/r/techstrategies/livecode/

Cheers,

Charles