LC Global - my experience

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Jun 17 20:55:27 EDT 2017

I agree. Even though I am in Scotland (in fact, in Edinburgh) other
circumstances would have prevented me from attending in person - so the
ability to (almost immediately) use the replay of the webinar is really
great - and the quality of the recording is so much better than we've
seen in previous conferences.

However - webinarjam haven't got it quite right yet :-)
I don't know how many people have used the replay links yet - but here's
my comment / opinion ...

the replay link gives you a web page showing the video and the scrolling
'chat' alongside it. The video responds *only* to "pause" (and then to
"play") - there's no
  - rewind (say 30 seconds) if you got distracted
  - fast forward / backward
  - go directly to a point in time (e.g. if you have to switch devices)
  - download to watch offline
      (I spent a 4 hour train journey yesterday, wishing I'd been able
to do that :-)

You *can* click on the 'Youtube' symbol at bottom-right of the video,
and then you get the usual controls for forward / rewind / etc. - but
you lose the chat session so you lose out on other people's comments and
questions, etc.

Also, minor point - it would be nice if the comments/questions were
time-stamped so you could easily visually determine when in the video
they applied to.

And, last suggestion, the mix of pre-recorded and live video that Kevin
used in the keynote worked really well - wonder if that was available to
(or should have been recommended to) others ?

But I'm nit-picking - the conference has been great, I love the on-line
format. (Though that won't stop me signing up to attend in person if
there is an actual, physical conference next year :-)

Hmmm - last wild thought - it's really good to be able to grab someone's
attention (i.e. usually a Livecode employee / expert) for 5 minutes,
show them a problem you're having, and have them give you an instant
answer. And I have a couple of examples which, right now, I know I could
demo to Trevor in 2 minutes and get an immediate answer; they're my lack
of understanding - but could be overcome so much more quickly than they
will be with me stumbling around :-)

So I wonder if there could be a session dedicated to personalized,
individual help;
  - 3 to 5 Livecode experts sign up to give answers
  - you give a brief description of your problem (so it gets assigned /
queued for one of the experts)
  - you then use Skype / screen sharing (or something better if there is
a better solution)
  - and if you can't make progress in your allocated 5 minutes, then you
use the last 30 seconds to decide on the next step ....

-- Alex.