Release 9.0.0 DP7 / SVG

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Jun 16 06:17:41 EDT 2017

On 2017-06-16 12:08, Frans Schoffelen via use-livecode wrote:
> Thanks Mark,
>
> I did not know that we had to recompile every single dp.I had
> recompiled with dp6…

It is best to recompile again for each DP - the module format for any
major version will be 'stable' when it gets to GM. Before that point it
might change in any DP. This is a bit of a pain, for sure, but as I
suggested in another email on the list, there are a couple of solutions
lurking which will ease the pain here.

> Hope it will involve complex SVG paths, colours, strokes and joins.
> Maybe even a hint of animation?

Paths, colors, gradients, strokes, caps, joins certainly - I'm aiming
for SVG Tiny 1.2 (without animation and interactivity) to begin with:

    https://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/

This can be expanded relatively quickly after that to add things which
our libgraphics library supports (blend modes, general alpha, patterns
and such) so we can gradually support more of the full SVG spec.

The reason for targeting SVG Tiny 1.2 is that it gives a well defined
standard for the minimum level of features the SVG widget will support.
For the use as scalable vector icons, it seems ideal. The other reason
for targetting a specific spec is that it then possible to use a
validation tool to check compliance of a given file.

I do have my eye on animation, and have a couple of ideas about how this
could be done; I also have my eye on basic interactivity (sending events
for mouse interaction over named elements in the SVG) - however, let's
get something working well without animation and interactivity first,
then we can see what we can do :)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps