Release 9.0.0 DP7

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Jun 16 05:25:57 EDT 2017

On 2017-06-16 11:19, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
> Mark,
>
> regarding to recompiling widget for newer LC version:
>
> If i use LC 8 and 9, do i have to recompile it every time i use the
> other version?

Right now - yes - the lcm (compiled LCB) formats are not compatible.

There are a couple of potential solutions:

1) Make it so that multiple LCM versions can sit in the same extension.
We can package up the lcb toolchain for each version as a distinct
download to help with this.

2) Have a plugin in the IDE which fetches a git repo containing a widget
(or widgets) and compiles them locally. lc-compile is really lightweight
and bundled into the IDE so doing this automatically is quite
straight-forward.

Case (1) would work for people wanting to distribute lce files which
people can just install on their machine. Case (2) is suitable
particularly for community widgets - it would mean that anyone
subscribing to a particular 'widget repo' could get updates as soon as
they are pushed by the maintainer.

I think it is worth doing (1) regardless - it is a simple matter of
having say 'module.8.lcm' and 'module.9.lcm' files. The 9 format is
unstable until we go GM, but the 8 format is now 'stable' - i.e. won't
change ever again.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps