64 bit desktop apps

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 05:50:45 EDT 2017

I don't see the problem as relating to machines that LiveCode might be
deployed on, but as machines for which 32-bit
standalones might be authored.

My highly theoretical scenario runs a bit likes this;

A number of schools in what are coyly called "third world countries"
running old machines for content delivery; either in
schools or in, say, government offices.

An author of software for this scenario might have a 64-bit machine, but
would need the ability to export for the target market.

As there are very many fully-functional 32-bit machines (whether Macs or
IBM-compats) "out there" (and by "out there"
I mean outwith the slightly smug, self-satisfied circle of charmed
countries quite incorrectly termed "Western" - Australia, western? -)
that are being put to good purpose rather than clogging up landfills and
shafting the planet, this scenario does not seem
totally daft to me.

Admittedly, authors could use earlier versions of LiveCode that do
produce 32-bit standalones to deliver the goods
(I still use 4.5 for stuff I run on a couple of PPC Macs), but,
obviously, this cuts them off from new capabilities that will be built
into newer
versions.

Richmond.