64 bit desktop apps

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 8 10:56:18 EDT 2017

Richmond wrote:

 > So, backwards compatibility does not interest you?
 >
 > I, for one, run Mac Machines running MacOS 10.4 PPC.
 >
 > A lot of these machine are being dumped in poor countries where they
 > can be used for good purposes.

I can appreciate the desire to get full life out of hardware, and indeed
it would be nice of Apple continued supporting older machines.

But the choice to stop supporting older hardware and OS versions is
Apple's, not LiveCode's.

Moreover, there is a solution available to extend the life of
otherwise-unsupported hardware: Linux.

Using a supported version of an OS that's receiving critical security
patches along with other updates is the safest choice, and one that
could not be more economical given a purchase price for most Linux
distros of zero.

For hardware that old you may find Lubuntu more satisfying than Ubuntu
or other distros with steeper RAM and graphics requirements.  Both
Alejandro and myself use Lubuntu and have found LiveCode runs quite well
on it.

In fact, if you use my LiveNet plugin (bundled in the IDE; see
Development -> Plugins -> GoLiveNet) the feeds on the second card there
are aggregated, packaged, and posted every five minutes by a LiveCode
app running on my Lubuntu box.

You can find more info on Lubuntu for PPC here:
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems