64 bit desktop apps

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Jun 8 06:32:14 EDT 2017

On 2017-06-08 12:28, hh via use-livecode wrote:
> 1) You are comparing 64bit and 32bit modes on a 64bit architecture.
> This is the correct answer for my cheeky post above (by the way that
> wasn't targeted, to the special case LiveCode and was a bit caused by
> the fact that the first 64bit-Finder was 80-100% slower than the 32bit
> variant).

The 32-bit Finder was Carbon and had been in development for years
(moved forward from Arch to Arch).

The 64-bit Finder was completely rewritten in Cocoa - it would have
taken a while for it to get optimized to the extent of the previous
version - I suspect the performance differences were largely completely
unrelated to even the move to Cocoa... Just the fact it was 'brand new
code'.

> 2) My simple user experiences are that some 32bit apps perform on a
> 32bit architecture obviously faster than the 64bit variant on 64bit
> architecture.
>
> For example on Mac LC 6.5-standalones run the same optimized code (with
> large imageData) on 32bit-architecture/slower CPU still 3-5 times
> faster
> than the 64bit-LC 8.1.4 standalones variant on 64bit-architecture.

Heh - that's not comparing like with like though is it? ;)

The speed difference there is nothing to do with architecture of the
CPU, but architecture of the engine. Which is a separate issue :)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps