Wait, the problem, and why it is important to solve

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Mon Jul 31 11:39:29 EDT 2017

On 07/29/2017 09:23 PM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:

> P.S. One other possibility I've toyed with is doing LCS->BYTECODE, then
> BYTECODE->ASYNCIFIED_JAVASCRIPT. The latter would be particularly easy
> if targetting browsers which have already implemented the new async
> JavaScript features. Since it looks like the HTML5 engine will only
> become truly widely usable when we move to WASM, this might well be a
> much more maintainable, and relatively quicker option.

I also want to point out (thanks for that long well-thought-out post)
that many of the use cases you list might be better served with callback
functions than with a cobbled-together 'wait' command. Javascript on its
own doesn't have a wait or sleep command, and while there are ways to
simulate the effect, they are problematic in a real-world environment
where network timing issues are out of control of the calling code.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com