HTML5: mixed signals

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 13:49:04 EDT 2017

On 7/28/17 5:32 pm, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:

> <snip>
>
> * It is really important to note that in the UK, and most other
> countries, if you write code during periods of time you are being paid
> for by your employer, then the copyright is implicitly owned by the
> company *and not* you.

<snip>

recently, over here: http://community.computingatschool.org.uk/door

there was a discussion to this end:

when I was working at the University of St. Andrews I made 2 RR/LC
standalones for Chinese and Janapese students to practise English sounds,
at home, in my own time . . .

. . . when I left I asked about this and it was understood that as those
programs were made in my own time on my own computer they were mine,
although as I had left copies on the server of the University they were
entitled to full use of them.

It turns out that teachers who make software at home, in their own time,
do NOT own the copyright to their work if they are under contract to schools
unless this has been explicitly "sorted out" in advance . . .

a situation that, frankly, stinks, especially as this is NOT during a
period of time for which you are being paid for by your employer.

Richmond.