template stacks

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Jul 28 12:11:49 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-28 18:01, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> But those seem pretty rare to me.  On desktop my windows tend to be
> different sizes, and on mobile it's important that they be responsive
> to any screen size; in either case the specific dimensions at the
> moment of creation seem of little value.

All of this is very true... However, Richard, how long have you been
designing/programming/building apps for?

A new user coming to a programming environment (of any kind) is usually
presented with a wealth of choices. Every choice which can at least be
parameterised / or constrained as the first step makes things 'easier'
(in some sense).

This is particularly pertinent to mobile - for sure, all apps should be
able to adapt to all screen sizes. However, in reality when you start
out you have to choose one size. Hence the options in the New Stack
menu. It isn't perfect, but at least means a brand new user has some
chance of choosing a size which will actually fit pixel-for-pixel on the
device they have next to them to play with.

Now, that menu is not perfect - we know its not - you've pointed that
out to us often enough ;)

However, we are now actively involved in a process of trying to evaluate
what 'first-run' things do actually (measurably) make a difference. I'm
sure that particular menu will be the subject of such 'tests' at some
point in the process :)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps