Web vs Native (was Re: HTML5 limitations?)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jul 26 18:08:35 EDT 2017

hh wrote:

 >> Mike K. wrote:
 >> My perception is that the web experience is very close to a desktop-
 >> native experience, and the two are almost interchangable. Running an
 >> app in a browser feels and works almost the same as a native one
 >> does.
 >
 > The HTML5 standalone builder...
 > @Mike.
 > Your experience is *much* better. May be I'm making even basic
 > mistakes that cause an essential loss of speed and/or performance.

I'm not sure if Mike was thinking in terms of LC's C++ -> JS -> LC
method.  My own question was about web deployment in general.  I
certainly have more experience with LC, but don't mind JS and definitely
enjoy the small size and great performance of writing directly in
browser-native DOM/JS.  With the biggest companies in the industry
throwing giant piles of money into JS engines, it's become very
performant.

Subjectively I wouldn't put it on par with native apps (FB's web
implementation is poor compared to their native app, and things like
Google Docs feel a bit clumsy to me compared with LibreOffice).  But for
things that need to be confined to a browser, JS is very nice.

My bigger question here is what needs to be delivered specifically in a
web browser window vs a native app, and why?

So many mixed messages coming from audiences these days....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems