file suffix isn't connected to the right standard program

Klaus major-k klaus at major-k.de
Wed Jul 26 09:13:56 EDT 2017

Hi Tiemo,

> Am 26.07.2017 um 15:03 schrieb Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>:
>
> Hello,
>
> I have mp4 videos stored in custom properties. Before playing them I do:
>
> put the mystoredVideo of stack myStack into URL "binfile:myPath\myVideo.mp4"
>
> After the file is created and assigned to the player and the player is
> started, nothing happens on Mac (on Windows everything works fine). Looking
> at the file, strange to say, BBEdit is connected to these files as the
> standard program. All other ".mp4" files on my Mac are connected to the
> QuicktimePlayer. How can two files with the same suffix being assigned to
> two different programs?
>
> I manually changed the information "open with" to "QuickTime Player" and did
> "change all", but the icon of every newly created videos file keeps "BBEdit"
> and they still don't want to be played in LC.
>
> What connects my files to BBEdit? Can I do anything more as putting the
> video video into URL as binfile? and why don't they play in my LC
> VideoPlayer?
>
> Any ideas?

you should try set the filetype before you "spit out" the custom property:
## No need to check for platform, this does nothing on Windows:
set the filetype to "mp42" ## Hope my memory serves me right :-)
put the mystoredVideo of stack myStack into URL "binfile:myPath/myVideo.mp4"
At least worth a try.

Obviously "the filetype" thing is still not compeltely deprecated by Apple.

> Tiemo

Best

Klaus

--