What happened to LC version numbers?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jul 20 20:14:25 EDT 2017

Mark Wieder wrote:

> On 07/20/2017 12:17 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
>> Okay, replace "DP" with "most recent build"
>
> No, you can't do that. If the team really wants us to test new features
> in DP releases (and I'm certainly on board with that) then we need DP
> releases.

I thought Mark had clarified that, no?

If not, here's another stab at it:

   If the alternative is to not test at all, test whatever's most
   recently available.

   When that's a DP, we all appreciate that in general the earlier
   in the process an issue is resolved the cheaper it is to do so.

   But if you've put off testing until after DP, don't wait further.
   Your app may depend on your participation.

Better? :)

> The whole idea of a Release Candidate is that the developers get to say
> "OK - we're done developing this and we think it's ready to be released.
> We're moving on to other things now, don't bother us unless it's broken"
> and that's a different thing from "here's a new build with a bunch of
> nifty new ideas that we're working on. It's still a work in progress,
> but we'd appreciate it if you try this build and see if your existing
> stacks still work. Also, we've added new features here, so you can using
> the new stuff with this in preparation for the RC/GM releases".

Yeah, I get that.  But the progression for each version remains the same
anyway, every DP will in time become an RC, then eventually Stable.

We both recognize that waiting until Stable isn't a good choice, so then
it's down to just DP vs RC.

But for me, there's no "vs".  I use recent builds for development so I
can asses recent bug-fix status.  Anything else is like living in the past.

I've had a few cases where I've reported issues against older builds
that had already been fixed.  Since I switched to the most recent builds
that rarely happens (though sometimes the team is faster than my
reporting anyway <g>).

Catch issues early on, save the community the time spent encountering
them, and they can return the favor with the ones they find.

Whether we call them "DP", "RC", "Bob", "Carol", "Ted", or "Alice"
doesn't matter as much to me personally as the posting date.  I realize
they each have different semantic meanings, but my focus is on engine
quality so my priority is assessing current engine state.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems