What happened to LC version numbers?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jul 20 14:41:09 EDT 2017

Bob Sneidar write:
 > I didn't DL the RC. I'm one of the lemmings that loiter at the top of
 > the cliff to see if any of the other lemmings are going to return. :-)

Like everything else in life, the only constant in software is change,
in both applications and the OSes they rely on.  There is no practical
way to avoid software evolution, except perhaps to use unsupported OSes,
which seems even riskier.

Sooner or later, an update will become a necessity.

LiveCode is vast, the combinatorial explosion of possible ways to use it
nearly infinite.  What you need from the engine is likely different in
at least some ways from what Alex needs; what I need is different from
what Trevor needs, etc.

Testing before release helps ensure that any issue specific to your
application on the platforms you need to deploy to can be addressed.

As Mark Waddingham recently wrote me in an email (I trust he won't mind
me copying this here):

    ...if all anyone does is try 3 of their projects in the most recent
    DP / RC until they hit something which breaks, and then reports that
    and goes back to using the latest stable version it would help a lot.

    ...the more people we can get using DP's (in particular), the higher
    quality they will be and the faster new versions will appear.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems