What happened to LC version numbers?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Jul 19 13:04:54 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-19 18:44, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> On 07/19/2017 06:54 AM, Bob Hall via use-livecode wrote:
>> Why are we testing a new feature in a RELEASE CANDIDATE version #2?
>> Why are significant features being added at all to the 8.x branch?
>> What standard (if any) do Livecode version numbers follow?
>
> I was wondering along the same lines. I have previously been assured
> that new "features" don't get rolled into release candidate builds,
> and the only changes in successive rc builds are things that caused
> regression failures in earlier builds. It seems that this policy has
> now changed to allow for changes to see how new users will react.

As explained in my email on the topic, we have evolved the policy
slightly in order to support the efforts we are taking to more rapidly
expand our user base. Hopefully, that rationale is good reason enough :)

The only change to the policy is that we will now consider changes
required for iterating on our 'first-run' experience (in conjunction
with the user testing we are doing) for inclusion in RC's of the stable
line.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps