Bug 20117: new rc2 sets a backdrop, and preferences for same

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Jul 19 07:49:11 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-19 13:40, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
> How many of those brand new users are going to start teaching
> themselves LiveCode at home, and how many are going
> to go through a guided course in LiveCode in some kind of classroom
> setting?

Most are going to be going through it from home or office on their own,
after they have discovered us through the web, traversed our web pages
and downloaded. (Unless, of course, there is a hidden world of
'underground' LiveCode classrooms no-one at here is aware of and which
would explain the 1000's of NEW downloads we get on a weekly basis).

> The biggish, bold font in the scriptEditor is useful (for me) in that
> I can sit in the middle of a room with computers lining the walls
> and talk to indvidual kids about their scripting without shifting my
> b** too much.

Right - so you already configure LiveCode on the machines your students
use to teach in the style you are accustomed - I also suspect you turn
first run mode off (or have done, even if you didn't realise you did).

I think it is reasonable to expect teachers to have to configure the
environment of the tools they are teaching to their pupils - it seems
like standard practice in any teaching environment to me (at least in
the first instance before you've explained the configurability of the
tool to said pupils in a lesson at some point, assuming that you do).

You are talking about this being 'enforced'. It is not. It is currently
(in 8.1.6-rc-2) the default setting in *first run* mode only (which is
configurable as a preference, like script editor font etc.). It can be
turned off - because all that is happening is that the 'show backdrop'
option is being turned ON if it has not been set, if 'First Run' is also
ON.

I'm honestly struggling to understand the problem here (beyond the *BUG*
that meant the backdrop is actually being turned on when not in First
Run mode - which it should not be and I've already said will be resolved
in RC-3).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps