Why is libcef included in standalone?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Jul 18 13:59:19 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-18 19:25, Dan Friedman via use-livecode wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Thanks for the very helpful info and the quick reply!  In my case, I
> am displaying a very simple webpage as a type of preview.  So, the
> latest html compatibility isn’t an issue.  For this project, I’ll
> manually remove the libcef.dll and move forward.

You're welcome.

We've periodically discussed internally using Edge on Windows for the
browser widget (as an option) for the cases where you just need a
browser for specific things (e.g. OAuth).

However, as it stands, CEF is giving us enough trouble just now so
sorting that out sits waaaay further up in priorities.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

P.S. We've also discussed 'bringing back' CEF on Mac - as then you have
an option for 100% cross-desktop platform consistent option for an
embedded browser. However that is contingent on whether they've sorted
out a rather critical issue with its memory management (related to
autorelease pools) which breaks things when CEF is used as the slave (it
is okay when CEF was the host - which is one of the biggest use cases of
that project - e.g. Spotify and Steam use it for their Desktop UIs on
all platforms).

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps