Exposing ourselves

Bob Hall bob at bobhall.net
Tue Jul 18 09:38:30 EDT 2017

It’s is very possible to create a plugin that customizes the IDE/Script Editor to your likely. I have a startup script that modifies many of the settings and applies “bug" fixes to the IDE/Script Editor when my Dev environment opens. “Bug” fixes are things that either are truly a bug in the IDE (real or my opinion) or I just don’t care for the UX that Livecode provided out of the box.

I also use a couple of IDE/SE enhancers provided by fellow Livecoders. It’s very cool that I am able to modify my dev environment to my liking down to the menu items or wha'ts in a window in the App.

Now back to the crux of the problem. There is very limited documentation (besides the source code) on how to edit the IDE/Script Editor or how one might use the APIs in the IDE/Script Editor. This seems to me to be the perfect type of project led by the Community.

Personally I’d envision a simple markdown based repository on Github. Maybe if there’s a need to get all fancy it could be either a Gitbook or mkdocs based repository. If we wanted to go overboard maybe a stack with a doc reader in it so it’s available in the IDE???

I don’t think there needs to be too much structure. Maybe just a defined Chapter/sub-chapter structure and place where anyone can edit/post to.

Thoughts?
Bob Hall