[ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-8

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Mon Jul 17 09:36:57 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-17 14:33, hh via use-livecode wrote:
> Isn't this more a thing of editing only than of debugging/compiling?
> The current completions occur also while I am typing inside of a
> string..

Okay, so having just read the form thread as well...

There are two things here:

   1) Bracket highlighting

   2) Bracket completion

They should both be preferences.

Secondly, both should really only function on 'real' tokens which are
part of script (hence why '{' isn't appropriate at this time for it to
function on). If you are typing a string or a comment then it shouldn't
trigger completion nor highlighting. This is actually quite hard to get
right efficiently (indeed, a lot of editors don't get this right, so I
end up turning such features off).

> on shouldn'tYouNotAppear?
>    answer "Just for fun: No."
> end shouldn'tYouNotAppear?

Heh - well ' was a bad example - its something we'd prefer wasn't
allowed in identifiers as it means the token cannot be used for anything
else (e.g. this stack's textColor). Similarly, the fact that '.' is also
allowed in identifiers means that it could never be an operator (e.g.
tRect.x).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps