Goofy question #7234

Tim Selander selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Mon Jul 10 04:09:49 EDT 2017

Hi Richmond

This works (both scripts in the button):
on mouseUp
put goRed()
end mouseUp

function goRed
set the backGroundColor of card 1 to red
end goRed

I think the general idea is that a function returns information. So
date() returns the date. But just having a line "date()" in the script
causes an error because you haven't told it what to do with the info
being returned. So you need "put data()" and then the info will go to
the message box.

Your function doesn't return any data. That's your choice when you write
it. But the engine is still expecting a function to return info, so you
still have to say "put" trigger the function.

You could write your function with a parameter:
function goRed foo
set the backGroundColor of foo to red
end goRed

Then call the function like this:
put goRed("card 1")
put goRed("card 3")
etc., and the one function can be used to turn both card 1 and card 3
(and any other object you specify in foo) red.

Hope that helps.

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan