Biased testing and micro-coaching

William Prothero waprothero at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 18:24:28 EDT 2017

Jonathon:
There are two learning processes going on. One is for the person testing the software, the second is for you, learning what kinds of interface approaches hang up new users. As you learn, by observing users, you will gain approaches that minimize future user problems, and you will find that you will be able to code in a way that avoids them.

If it were me, I would start small with the evaluation, and do it first by informal observation, encouraging the user to think out loud as he/she uses the app. You will get a feel for obstacles pretty quickly. You may run out of test users quickly if you use many of them at once, so put as much common sense as you can into changes that you make between new testers. If this is unsuccessful, then you will have to expend more of your resources on testing.

Another good thing is to download and try other apps, checking to see how their UI is set up. For example, almost every web delivered login page is the same or similar. Why? Because they work. When numerous apps take a similar approach, learn from them.

Good luck. Please post what you learn from your testing.

Another piece of advice (worth what it costs you??). Your application is actually huge. Think Facebook and the other biggies. Maintaining it, should it be successful, will be HUGE! Think trollers, spammers, whackos, etc, etc. I had a site where I allowed anybody to create an account (but I had to approve the account to activate it), and got loads of trial logins from spammers and bots. Finally, I just disabled new accounts. I wonder if you might want to consider narrowing the scope of your app, perhaps to a specific education segment. Or, maybe a particular travel segment or for a specific tour company. This would let you get your app out there and identify early issues. A tour company might find a custom branded app that supports their tour company to be appealing.

Good luck,

Best,
Bill P.