synonyms

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Tue Jul 4 15:43:55 EDT 2017

On 07/04/2017 11:34 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:
> It was a generic 'you' and not you 'you' :)
>
> I think part of my brain decided on 'one' there but my fingers objected ('when' should have been 'one').
>
> Indeed in this instance 'one' in both places probably would have been better, however I always feel like that sounds slightly pompous...

LOL

Yes, "one" would maybe have been more syntactically correct but made you
feel pompous. "You" in both places emphasizes the lexical ambiguity. So
even though the sentence would be diagrammed the same way (the bytecode
implementation would be identical) they feel completely different.

So... aren't you glad we have synonyms? <g>

And placing the sentence in passive voice would eliminate the above
problems by allowing a different creative process to take place. Thus my
argument for synonyms: not that it makes much (if any) difference at the
engine level, but it allows for some right-brain interaction in what
would otherwise be a completely left-brain activity.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com