Mobile Check Bandwidth Function

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Mon Jul 3 14:21:41 EDT 2017

On 07/03/2017 09:35 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> "reachability"?  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?  I'd love to hear the backstory
> on that name choice.  It has the scent of things like "srcBic", adopted
> from the arbitrary choices of neckbeards who define OS APIs.  Maybe
> there's an API for iOS called NSReachabilityChanged.

Well, you've got Apple to blame for that one.
https://developer.apple.com/library/content/samplecode/Reachability/Introduction/Intro.html

> If nothing else it's perhaps the most truly English-like token in the
> language, steeped as it is in vague ambiguity just like so much in
> natural languages. ;)

There are various interpretations of 'reachability' for iOS:

"Of course, Apple knows that many iPhone users want the option to
perform many functions with one hand, so it created a nifty little
feature called “Reachability.”"

https://bgr.com/2014/09/22/iphone-6-apple-features-iphone-6-plus/

According to the dictionary there are three LC functions here:
reachabilityChanged, iphoneReachabilityTarget, and
iphoneSetReachabilityTarget. I assume this "iphone" nomenclature is
what's known as painting yourself into a corner.

> And iOS only?  What do we do for the other 80% of the world?

Android:
https://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/ConnectivityManager.html

--
  Mark Wieder