Mobile Check Bandwidth Function

Peter Bogdanoff bogdanoff at me.com
Sun Jul 2 22:44:24 EDT 2017

I’m also very interested in this.

I’m thinking that it might be possible to use a LC-only method:
1. A player control starts downloading a known-size media file.

2. The player reports when its <status> is no longer “loading,” then you calculate the data rate based on the elapsed time.
(In LC for Windows only, the player has a loadedTime property with which one could presumably calculate data rate.)

3. Possibly another method would be to set the callbacks of the player, such as one callback every 500 milliseconds. You would use a timer to figure how long it takes to receive each callback. If they are arriving every half second for a large file, then the speed needle would move the “Good” range. If the download is slow, the callbacks would be late, and the needle would move to the “you must be a rural Internet customer” area.

This kind of thing would require a “speed test” event before the results could be reported to the user.

Creating/testing this might be a challenge if you happen to have a good connection. You would have to somehow slow down your speed, or have someone else test it who does have a slow connection. Also, after loading a file, LC keeps it in a cache unless you dump it.

Peter Bogdanoff