Browser Widget/HTML5/LC Integration

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Jan 30 07:54:01 EST 2017

On 29/01/2017 19:22, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> HTML model: Natural Flow
> ------------------------
> HTML has something we don't:  "natural flow", a set of conventions for
> object placement that are implied and do not need to be specified in
> order to get some form of reasonably useful layout.

HTML also has something else - CSS, The object inheritance model in LC
allows you to inherit properties (e.g. colour, margins, etc.) for your
objects - but it doesn't have any easy way to classify together  (I
wanted to say "group" but that would get confusing :-) a number of
objects. So in the example here, there were a bunch of buttons (<li>
entries) whose properties could be changed consistently by tweaking the
CSS. I think we lack an equivalently easy way to do it in LC.

Not too long ago we added "behaviours" which allowed us to define a
script behaviour and attach it to many objects. I think we could benefit
from an equivalent  'parentAppearance' which would define the properties
of the parent, and allow those properties to be inherited by the objects
which specify that parent (over-riding, or rather adding to,  the
default inheritance via the object / group / card path).

Maybe it's confusing to refer to this as 'appearance' - maybe it should
simply be any inheritable property - I don't think those are all
appearance related.

-- Alex.