It looks like Director is Finally Dead

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Fri Jan 27 13:19:08 EST 2017

> One of the reasons I stopped buying Adobe products is the
> clandestine way they EOL them.
>
> GoLive, Fireworks, LiveMotion, maybe more - all had
> development stop months or years before any public disclosure
> of the EOL decision.
>
> This led many of us to buy products that were effectively
> already dead, no upgrade path and non-working just an OS
> update or two later.
>
> Repeated requests from many in the user community for
> clarification of EOL status went without reply.
>
> Not cool, preventing consumers from making informed
> purchasing decisions.  I and many others stopped doing
> business with them after those.

While I can appreciate as a publicly traded company, Adobe needs to remain
closed mouthed about things, the situation should make anyone thing twice
about supporting the Adobe hegemony any more than necessary. Very, very few
updates came out for Director after Adobe acquired it. They've been slowly
strangling it over the years, rather than doing right by their customers and
selling it off when they could.

I think there are many companies that look to the Adobe model of doing
business with envy. Microsoft (to some extent) and Autodesk (all in!) are
following the same business model, and seducing customers based on the most
transient of selling points, which is pricing model. Once they reach the
point in which individual customers no longer have viable alternatives (the
pain of 'unsubscribing' is business destroying), they can increase or shift
pricing. This is banking on the short sightedness of customers and sadly
many have embraced it like a severe diabetic wolfing down a carton of
twinkies every day.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
Paradigma Software