How to lose your work in a couple of clicks (dirty flag)

Mark Talluto mark at canelasoftware.com
Tue Jan 24 13:00:22 EST 2017

> On Jan 24, 2017, at 9:50 AM, Ralph DiMola via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> I have been poking around in the IDE stacks and found this. I think it's a bug but wanted to run it up the ol' flag pole with the list first before I submit a bug report.
>
> Recipe:
> 1) Open a stack.
> 2) Make a small change.
> 3) Build a standalone.
> 4) When presented with the "Save/Cancel/Don’t save" dialog, click on the "Don't save" option.
> 5) Exit the IDE and you will not get the options to save your stack because the "Don’t save" option clears the "Dirty" flag.
> 6) Re-open the stack in the IDE and observe that your change(s) are not there.
>
> Expected result: User should be present with the option to save the stack when exiting the IDE.
> Observed result: The user is not asked to save the stack when exiting the IDE.
>
> When the "Cancel" option is selected the "dirty flag is not cleared as I would expect but "Don't save" clears it. I think this is wrong. Even if you don't choose to save at that moment The IDE should leave the stack marked as "dirty". I could see someone inadvertently losing a lot of work.

I agree that this could bite someone. I have never run into it myself because I always save before building the standalone. But, it could be argued that someone would want to save after building the standalone, forget to do so, quit the IDE and not be offered the save dialog again, and lose some work.

Best regards,

Mark Talluto
livecloud.io
canelasoftware.com