Boring but important - selling a download product for Windows

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Jan 21 14:59:31 EST 2017

On 1/21/17 1:43 PM, Graham Samuel via use-livecode wrote:
> My question is, what do other people do about this? If you generate a
> new desktop program for Windows and try to sell it as a download, how
> can you strip away all this nonsense for the average purchaser?

One of my clients said she'd had it with Windows installers and now
ships the product as a zip file. The user is instructed to move the app
folder out of the zip folder. This is just about the only hitch in the
process, because Windows presents the zip folder as a regular folder and
users think they can just double-click the app inside the zip archive.

Other than instructing naive Windows users to drag the app folder out of
the zip archive, there have been virtually no other issues. The signed
app itself works fine without interference from the OS.

Windows users have become used to installers and expect them, but if
your app is self-contained and doesn't require changing registry keys or
other OS-level stuff, it works pretty well. I know that's not what you
asked, but that's how we solved it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com