LC Server & Server Based Stack?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jan 20 20:09:14 EST 2017

On 1/20/17 6:00 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:
> My next line of code I tried was:
>
> put "I hope this worked!" into field "TestFirstNameField1" of card 1 of this stack
>
> It didn’t put anything into that field.

When you are working on a server, you can only see what gets put into
the browser. There is no stack to examine visually. Anywhere a script
uses "put" without a destination, the text will go to the browser window
where you can see it. Anything that is put into the stack itself won't
be visible.

Each time the server runs a script, it starts from scratch. Nothing is
saved from previous runs (unless you script it.) So you can't run the
script on the server and then look at the stack later -- it won't have
been saved.

Another option if you do want to see a real stack inside a browser is
the (as yet immature) HTML5 feature. That does put a stack into a
browser window, with buttons, fields, and all the basic object behaviors
you are used to. It is still young yet though and has some limitations.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com