AW: AW: Why do I still need MacToISO, when working with UTF-8?

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 23:36:28 EST 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 1:24 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode

> However, the 'endpoints' (i.e. where the developer can 'see' encoded text
> output - e.g. when writing to a file, or encoding for a URL) had to remain
> as before otherwise all existing applications using anything other than
> ASCII text would have broken when moving from 6.7 -> 7.0.

But isn't that the point of Tiemo's confusion - his scripts broke when
moving to 7.0! Prior to 7.0 he didn't have to do anything, it all
'just worked'. When he moved to 7.0 where 'unicode' was suppose to
'just work' on all platforms, he's used textEncode/textDecode to/from
UTF8 and it's not working for him (on Mac), instead he's found
macToISO (MacRoman to Latin 1) is working for him, which seems to be a
step backwards.

There must be something more hidden in his scripts or PHP.

I wonder if he replaced macToISO(myFile) with
textEncode(myFile,"CP1252") he'd get the same result. If so, it may
suggest that everything is expecting Latin 1, not unicode.