Why do I still need MacToISO, when working with UTF-8?

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Mon Jan 16 05:57:53 EST 2017

Hello,

Probably my knowledge about code sets is too limited. My thinking was, that
UTF-8 includes the same characters above ASCII 128 independent of the
platform and makes data transfer between different platform compatible
without conversion of a char set. Migrating a LC 6 program to LC 8 I just
recently needed an extra MacToISO(), before passing a text from my UTF-8 LC
8  program via PHP to a UTF-8 MySQL db on a Unix server.

Now my German Umlaute don't get corrupted in the MySQL db and everything is
fine, but I would like to understand the technical background. Why do I
still need MacToISO() in LC 8 on a Mac and even worse, I didn't needed it in
LC 6 in the same program. What am I missing here?

Thanks for rerailing me

Tiemo