Array Properties in a Standalone

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jan 11 01:37:47 EST 2017

> It's been my whole understanding of the use of splash stacks that the
> stack used to create a standalone is read only, and therefore cannot
> be a stack you set properties of, or make any changes to. I had no
> idea it became the mainstack in a standalone.

Right. You can make any changes you want, but you can't save them to disk.

> This fairly torpedoes my whole portability concept where I go to a
> substack of a mainstack and perform some actions, finally setting
> some properties of the mainstack. In retrospect now, I can see why
> seasoned livecoders don't go in much for the concept of substacks.
> However convenient it is to have a single stack file with all the
> substacks included, it appears I can no longer do this.

I don't think any of us avoid substacks, I use them all the time in apps
for resource storage or as libraries. The trick is not to include any
substacks that need write permissions as part of your standalone. Save
the substacks out as independent stacks, and add them to the Copy Files
pane in standalone settings. Those will become independent mainstacks
and will be writeable (provided you copy them to a writeable location on
disk first.)

I don't think you'll need to change your scripts much. You could even
create a different splash stack, save that as the standalone, and have
it open your original splash stack which is now its own mainstack, just
as it is in the IDE.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com