TS Net for Indy vs Business

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Fri Jan 6 16:23:15 EST 2017

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 2:49 AM, Heather Laine via use-livecode <

> "A bit like devs are being milked" seems a somewhat extraordinary
> statement. LiveCode is a business, with expenses and a stable of highly
> skilled and valuable developers. Which of them would you like us to fire?

Friends,

Both statements are uncalled for. It is not a matter of milking and not a
matter of firing people, both arguments add nothing to the thread. Since I
started this thread let me further clarify it.

The new TS Net thing is cool and we all love all the work that HQ does and
want to see them all employed. This being said, there were arbitrary
decisions regarding the features of the new TS Net external. Splitting the
features between Indy and Business in a way that makes the life of the LC
indy customers harder.

I would infer that the movement (or upsell) from community users to indy
users is more common than from Indy to Business. I believe that it is
better to convert the larger userbase of community users into indy users
than to convert the smaller base of indy users into business. This is of
course my opinion and how I see it.

Almost all languages under the sun have SFTP libraries available for free.
This is the kind of feature that is taken for granted elsewhere. LC being
smaller requires bounties, crowdfunds and business acumen to keep the boat
floating well. We know that. What I am saying is that this decision on the
features actually makes the TS Net features almost unusable by Indy users.
It is almost the same as not having it.

Instead of hoping through the hops of storing stuff into variables to then
push them into the server thus allocating potentially hundreds of
megabytes, Indy users will simply use a shell command such as "scp source
destination" and not upgrade to business because that solves the problem,
even if in a hackish way.

For example, I just spent the last couple hours coding a library to mount
and work with network shares on both windows and mac because I can't use
sftp at all with my indy license, not when I need to move hundreds of
megabytes around.

It all boils down to a single statement: "SFTP is not an enterprise need,
it is a common user need". I could paste a dozen articles from the web
showing why SSL and secure connections matter, why encryption is needed
everywhere. This is not a matter of opinion, this is well researched facts
from major universities and stakeholders of the Internet. The fact that we
treat secure connections like they were Oracle deployments (which not many
people outside of enterprise needs) makes me think that HQ is shooting
itself on the foot on this one.

Om om
andre

--