Contains vs is in

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jan 3 15:16:45 EST 2017

Thanks. I've been accused of over-obsessing about performance so often
that it didn't occur to me my comment could be seen as erring the other
way. :)

I've done scraping, but fortunately here the simplest syntax is also the
more efficient.

And even in tasks requiring fewer than a million iterations, it's often
helpful to adopt habits that favor performance.

I like to think of it as the opposite of technical debt, a sort of
savings account from which you can later draw clock cycles for new
features or more thorough error-checking as needed.

But on balance, for all the benchmarking I've done over the years I try
to remain mindful of the ROI of such efforts.

Sometimes it's quite high and well worth it.  Other times, not so much.

Some optimizations come at a cost not only to initial development as
various options are explored, but also to ongoing maintenance.
Sometimes highly-optimized code is really hard to read, and harder to
fix or extend.

With any quantification, percentages are only part of a complete
breakfast.  I find it helpful to keep absolute values in mind as well.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems