Script Editor fixable? (was: Configuring a Sublime Text project to notify LiveCode IDE about updates to script only stacks)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Feb 25 01:00:48 EST 2017

Mike Kerner wrote:

 > On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> Mike Kerner wrote:
 >>
 >> > 4) Why is having an integrated editor important, if your edits made
 >> > via an external editor take effect immediately?  If we didn't need
 >> > the L server hack to get live edits, we could use any editor.
 >>
 >> What is "the L server hack", and what is the threshold of acceptable
 >> immediacy?
 >
 > Trevor, in his (L)evure framework (which is what brought the original
 > topic up that inspired this thread) developed a way to get the LC IDE
 > to act as a server/listener and ST to broadcast every time a
 > .livecodescript file is edited.  LC then unloads and reloads the .lcs
 > file (whether it is a front or backscript, library, behavior, etc.),
 > causing it to be updated live, as if it had been edited in the LC SE.

Thanks. I has misread "hack" as "workaround".

Sockets are of course are a very common method for processes to
communicate, and are generally pretty fast, esp. on the local machine.

If you've seen delays I'll bet they can be addressed.

The MC IDE used to have built-in support for external editors since the
olden days, and a more flexible socket-based method is even better.

So far this thought experiment seems favorable to all who've responded.
For those who prefer a LiveCode-based editor, I can envision are project
very much like the one you started with the Dictionary, leaving scripted
components in the hands of capable scripters in the community so the
engine team could theoretically be freed up to do the things only they
can do.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems