Null symbol cross platform

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 09:04:38 EST 2017

Frankly I would just take a look at the Unicode convention's guff:

U+2205 is a sort of "O" with a slanted line through it:

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2205/index.htm

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2200.pdf

If you stare at this PDF long enough you might get a free trip without
having to reach for the LSD!

This is NOT really the problem. What is the problem is whether the stuff
"under the hood" in your operating system recognises U+2205 as the null
set character or not.

I would suggest the "quickest route to heaven" is to ask Microsoft and
Apple directly.

This would seem to suggest that Windows has not jettisoned all its
pre-Unicode bumf:
http://superuser.com/questions/61742/how-to-insert-a-null-character-ascii-00-in-notepad

While ASCII 00 may result in a null set character being inserted in some
Windowsy code, it may not
be displayed as the "happy" slashed zero.

Richmond.