PUT method where is returned data?

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Feb 10 09:52:08 EST 2017

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 8:47 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <

> Devin Asay wrote:
>
> > On Feb 8, 2017, at 2:02 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> >
> >> "it" is not longer a valid container for URL responses?
> >>
> >> I missed that memo.  Which version did that change take place in?
> >>
> >> My understanding is that GET requests are simply submitted in a
> >> LiveCode ‘put URL tURL into <container>” statement, and the results
> >> go into the container you designate. POST requests are returned to
> >> ‘it’.
> >
> > As far as I know it’s always been like this.
> >
> > The PUT results going to the urlResponse is a new one on me. But I’m
> > happy to know it.
>
> If urlResponse is offered as an alternative that may be useful, but if
> "it" is no longer valid at all it'll break a lot of scripts.

The urlresponse has been around for a number of years. It was added so that
you can get the response sent back from the server for url calls. It
doesn’t affect how it behaves in any way. Prior to adding the urlresponse
one couldn’t get the server response for PUT … into URL tURL or DELETE URL
tURL calls. It’s been so long I don’t recall the exact reasons why ‘it’
wasn’t used but I much prefer reading ’the urlresopnse’ in my code than
dealing with ‘it’ which is meaningless until put into another variable.

--
Trevor DeVore
Outcome & ScreenSteps