Size of Image in RAM

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Wed Feb 8 10:59:49 EST 2017

It's very possible that for the purposes of efficiency, Photoshop allocates enough memory so that it can work on the file as though it were in 24 bit color mode. It may be that some filters do a temporary shift to 24 bit color to do their magic, then back to 8 bit. This is just a guess though. I wouldn't go by that. If Photoshop reports 8 bit, then it's 8 bit.

Bob S