libUrl tsNet and socketTimeoutInterval

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Fri Dec 8 16:05:02 EST 2017

BR,

I async also works in iOS just fine and dandy. In My app I am getting the background images for cards while the user first logs in. Async allows the images to be downloaded in the background. This allows me to change images without releasing a new app without hanging the app up when I used blocking libURL. The implementation was so easy it was frightening. I also have 6 of these queued up and running at the same time!

First is a utility(NetworkType) to check the type of networking and a tsNet initialization handler (EISinitTSnet):

function GetNetworkType
   local tLibUrlDriver

   try
      put the behavior of stack"revLibUrl"into tLibUrlDriver
   end try
   if tLibUrlDriver is empty then
      return "Sockets"
   else
      return "tsNet"
   end if

end GetNetworkType

command NetworkType
   if GetNetworkType() = "Sockets" then
      answer"tsNet is disabled"
   else
      answer "tsNet in use"&cr&"Version==>"& tsNetVersion()
   end if
end NetworkType

command EISinitTSnet
   local tResult

   try
      tsNetInit
      put the result into tResult
      if tResult is not empty then
         if tResult = "tsneterr: Already initialised" then
         else
            answer tResult
         end if
      else
         tsNetSetTimeouts 60, 5000, 5000, 5000, 5, 10000
      end if
   catch someerror
      if IsInternalUser(true) then answer TranslateError(someerror)
   end try
end EISinitTSnet

The Get_Path function below is a function returns paths that are transparent between IDE and mobile. (Richard G. I got sucked into the returning the trailing slash before I realized it was not the best way to do it). I hacked out this code so there could be an error but the basic idea is here.

I call this first handler(StartBackgroundImageDownload) 12 time quickly and all the downloads work. The app is fully functional while the downloads are in progress. I use the filename as the pID. This makes things easy when the download completes. I have not tested timeouts yet. That's the next step, handling the in/out of network access/slow network speed. Standby....
This is the guts of the asysnc file downloading:
command StartBackgroundImageDownload pImageName
   local pHeaders, tStatus

   put tsNetGetFile(pImageName, Get_Path("Updates")&pImageName,  \
         "https://xxx.com/someFolder/"& \
         urlencode(pImageName), pHeaders, "DownLoadBackgroundImageComplete") into  tStatus-- start download
   if tStatus is not empty then
         answer tStatus
         end if

end StartBackgroundImageDownload

on DownLoadBackgroundImageComplete pID, pResult, pBytes, pCurlCode

   local tData, tHeaders

   --answer "File==>"&pID&cr&"Bytes==>"&pBytes&cr&"Result==>"&pResult&cr&"CurlCode==>"&pCurlCode

   if pCurlCode is not 0 then

         answer tsNetRetrError(pID)
   else
      if pResult = 404 then
         answer "File'"&&pID&&"not found==>"&pBytes&&"Result==>"&pResult
         delete file Get_Path("Updates")&pID -- delete file with 404 error in it
      else
         --answer "File==>"&pID&cr&"Bytes==>"&pBytes&cr&"Result==>"&pResult&cr&"CurlCode==>"&pCurlCode
         if pBytes > 2000 then -- GOOD DOWNLOAD
            rename file (Get_Path("Updates")&pID) to (Get_Path("BackgroundImages")&pID) -- file download complete

               --answer "File'"&&pID&&"has been downloaded. Result==>"&pResult

         else
               answer "File'"&&pID&&"has been downloaded but is too small==>"&pBytes&&"Result==>"&pResult -- this was before I had the 404 check
               delete file Get_Path("Updates")&pID
         end if
      end if
   end if