Copying text in boxes to clipboard

David V Glasgow dvglasgow at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 10:09:57 EST 2017

Hello Charles,

I very often have to manipulate psychological test and subtest scores in LC that have to be exported in different formats.  It is difficult to be sure I understand what you are trying to do, but I will say that I find the following the approach is one that suits me:

• I store item numbers which contribute to sub scale scores in a custom property of a field that contains the sub scale score.  Sometimes 2 properties if some items are reverse scored.  Very easy then to step through any number of sub scale fields with a generic script which will populate each with the correct result.  I like to use custom properties because they are easier to check and change than if they are buried in a script.

• I write several ‘harvest' routines to gather the data from scored up test and subtest fields, and store the results as a tab delimited  table in an ordinary LC field, in whatever format is required. (by ‘format’ I mean 1 case per line, or rows and columns for each case, not digital ‘formats’)  The contents of that field can then be printed, copied to the clipboard or exported as a file.

With only 14 fields, it will be very quick once you have gone through the drudgery of writing the ‘data harvest’ scripts.

Am I on the right lines?

Best wishes,

David Glasgow